ST PETER’S   A short history

1905:  The Diocese purchased land in Neerim Road for St Peter's. The first services were held in private homes in the area.

1907:  The former church building of St Agnes, Glenhuntly, was purchased and re-erected on the Neerim Rd site

1914:  With numbers increasing, St Paul’s, Canterbury, was re-erected in Neerim Rd and dedicated on 6th December .

1915:  St Peter’s became a Parish in its own right with the first Vicar being the Rev. A E Ingham

1916:  A school operating in Murrumbeena moved to the Parish Hall, and thus began St Peter’s Girls’ School.

1924:  The Foundation Stone of the front brick section of the church building was laid

1958:  The Foundation Stone of the  current church building was laid and blessed by the Archbishop Dr Frank Woods

1959:  The new church of St Peter’s was Dedicated on the 6th June

1974:  The church of St Peter’s was Consecrated and the new vicarage, blessed at the Patronal Festival in June

HOLY NATIVITY   A short History

1924:  The Diocese purchased 2 blocks of land for a new church to meet the Hughesdale area's growing population needs.

1925:  An old classroom from Merton Hall branch school in Alma Rd was purchased and re-erected on the church site

1960:  The Foundation Stone of the current church building was laid on the 19th November

1961:  The Church was Dedicated on the 22nd July

1975:  The Church of Holy Nativity was Consecrated on the 20th July

Copies of "Feeding Christ's Sheep", an excellent & informative History of St Peter’s with Holy Nativity, by  Fr Alex Reid can be obtained any Tuesday morning at the church, or, by telephoning (03) 9569 3326.

 

Early Parish Clergy serving the Local Area

W A Phillips: St Agnes, Glenhuntly  1905-08, 1910-1913

H H J Norwood: Holy Trinity, Oakleigh  1908 - 1910

Vicars serving St Peter's with Holy Nativity

A E Ingham:          1915-1917

W G A Green:        1917-1927

C W Meredith:       1927-1936

H R Potter:            1936-1942

C B Cotes:             1942-1957

K P Goodisson:      1957-1966

A G Laity:             1966-1980

E A Hassing:         1980-1989

R T P Williams:      1989-1994

T S Jewell:             1995-

 

St Peter's Church Organ

Our church organ is regarded as important.

This website describes the history of the current instrument:

 

www.ohta.org.au/organs/organs/MurrumbeenaAng.html

 

 

Copyright 2011, St. Peter's Murrumbeena